I've spent the last two days working on dresses with a Minnie Mouse head on them for the girls to wear to Disney World in a couple of weeks. I started with Britton's dress (Kwik Sew 3035). Trust me there was nothing quick about this dress for me. I'd made one previously (Clemson outfit seen in a previous post) and I loved the back of the dress and the ruffle bottom bloomers that I made for it, so I decided it wouldn't be too hard to enlarge the pattern from an 18 mos to a 3T! That went ok, I had to make a few tweaks because the back of the dress was way shorter than the front. I attributed that to my lack of good math skills so I enlarged the back piece and all was well.
I had cut the pieces out earlier in the week so that I would have the morning to make Brittons Dress and Sunday for Reese's dress (a pillowcase dress). I knew that Reese's dress would be a breeze because I've only made about a million of them! This dress does not require that I use or follow a pattern. I can make it in my sleep. But they are really cute for almost 6 year old girls!
On to the Kwik Sew drama. I had all the pieces cut out and took the front piece to applique the Minnie Mouse Head. I got through the applique part and even though I wasn't happy with the actual design (the bow was all embroidered and I really wanted it to be an applique so that I could use the zebra fabric)I pushed on. 3/4's through the bow on the Minnie head the bobbin thread ran out on my machine. I changed it and started the machine back. I stepped away from the machine and when I came back the rest of the bow was completely ruined with the bobbin thread all looped on the top of the garment. Thank goodness I didn't sew the front to the back pieces, so I went a cut another front and started over.....this time I started appliqueing the design upside down on the front of the dress and threw yet another front in the trash. The third time, I got the applique done and worked the rest of the afternoon to get the dress put together.
When it was all done, I realized that something very wonky was wrong with the back of the dress. The back neck was weird. I think that I messed things up when I stitched the understitching. It's the ony thing that makes sense!
I was awake most of the night, just not happy with the dress so after church today I came home and cut out Reese's dress (the pillow case dress) and put it together with applique and ruffle in about an hour and then cut out the Kwik Sew outfit again.
This outfit went together so much easier than the first one and I am so happy with how it came out.
I still have the bloomers to make but I will cut them out tomorrow night after work and start sewing them Tuesday night. I will post them with the dress once they are made. They have a ruffle bottom so I'm hoping it is as cute in person as it is in my head.
Here are a few pictures of the 2 dresses I made today. I don't have a photo of Britton in hers yet, but I will get one with her modeling later this week.
Mixed Media Journal - Hello everyone! I thought I would share this fun mixed media book with you today. I used products from Canvas Corp, 7gypsies, and Tattered Angels! For the...
4 years ago